Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Torres regrets Gower challenge

Chelsea striker Fernando Torres says that he never meant to hurt Swansea's Mark Gower after being sent off on Saturday.

The Blues forward was dismissed for a two-footed lunge on the Swans midfielder after scoring his second goal of the season, but his team-mates went on to win the match 4-1.

It culminated a dramatic six days for the Spaniard who went into the weekend's clash looking to move on from his embarrassing open goal miss against Manchester United a week earlier.

Gower has escaped any serious injury, revealing afterwards that he had only been grazed by the ta
ckle,

but admitted that it was a needless foul by the 27-year-old.

Torres will now miss the next three domestic matches but is available to play in Chelsea's UEFA Champions League clash at Valencia on Wednesday.

Arrived late

"Obviously, I didn't want to do anything bad against the other player, I tried to take away my legs, but I arrived late to kick the ball and I kicked him a little bit.

It's a pity and I'm really disappointed for that. It is the first time I have received a red card in the Premier League and I hope it is the last one."

Torres had put Chelsea in the lead after 29 minutes on Saturday, meaning that he has already scored more goals for the Blues this season than he did in 19 appearances last term.

And the club's record signing has thanked the fans who have backed him despite a frustrating few months at Stamford Bridge.

He said: "Obviously, when you are doing great, scoring goals from the first day and doing good performances, it's easy for the fans to love and support you.

"But the first six months for me at Chelsea have been very, very difficult and I have been struggling, and I have always had the support of the fans.
"From the first day till now, every time I talk with them on the street, the café, everywhere, I can feel the support they are giving me so it is nice to start scoring for them."

No comments:

Post a Comment